I've been spending some time at Brightcove trying to figure out ways to speed up Flex Builder for some of the larger applications we're developing here. I have a few things I'm working on myself, but I wanted to hear what others have done to improve the compile times in Flex Builder.
Here are some of things we do:
- Build every application in one project using multiple source paths (instead of using extra library projects)
- Build parts of the applications as SWCs (instead of referencing their source paths)
- Close extra projects
- Use a system font instead of embedding fonts
- Run "eclipse -clean" occasionally
- Turn off "Copy non-embedded files to source folder"
- Turn off "Build Automatically"
Things we haven't tried or just trying now and which may be helpful:
- Build a lot of the application as SWCs or anything as an RSL
- The Hellfire compiler
- Use the Flex 4 SDK (or just the compiler portion) with Flex Builder
- Merge some of the many Flex 4 compiler performance changes into a Flex 3 SDK, and using this in Flex Builder
I should explain the last two items a little bit more. I've been watching the Flex 4 changes related to compiler performance with a lot of interest. There's an incredible amount of work going on there, and we can all expect to see some major improvements.
Do you have any other suggestions, unique hacks, custom workarounds? What do you think of the things we haven't tried? I'd love to hear everything, even if it seems specific to your situation.
Update: See A Faster Flex 3 SDK for another option for speeding up Flex Builder.